Marijana Matura is a co-founder of Kessler Matura P.C.
Ms. Matura’s practice focuses on representing individuals in employment discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and wage and hour class and collective actions. She also negotiates executive and professional employment contracts and severance agreements. Ms. Matura has litigated and successfully settled many cases involving a variety of workers including those who were “misclassified” and paid a salary by their employers and denied overtime pay as well as highly compensated professionals. Notwithstanding her extensive litigation experience, Ms. Matura also understands that with effective negotiation and appropriate counseling, extensive litigation may be avoided and tailors her tactics on a case by case basis in order to achieve the most favorable outcome for her clients.
Ms. Matura received her law degree from St. John’s University School of Law, where she was an executive board member of the Moot Court Honor Society. Ms. Matura also holds a Bachelor of Science from Cornell University where she majored in Industrial and Labor Relations. Ms. Matura is a member of American Bar Association Labor & Employment’s Section on Employment Rights and Responsibilities, the National Employment Lawyers Association of New York, and the New York State Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section. Ms. Matura has been selected by her peers as a New York Super Lawyer in the area of Employment Law in 2012 through 2019. Ms. Matura also fluently speaks both Spanish and Croatian.
Outside the office, Ms. Matura is an avid skier and also enjoys cooking, gardening, and boating with her family.
Areas Of Practice
- Employment Law
- New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- St. John's University School of Law, New York, New York
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Moot Court Honor Society, Executive Board Member
- Cornell University
- Major: Industrial and Labor Relations
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Magazine has repeatedly named Ms. Matura to its list of top attorneys in New York in Employment Litigation from 2013 through 2019. Less than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in New York are selected to this list each year.
- In April 2016, she was honored by Hofstra University School of Law by the Hon. A. Gail Prudenti as one of Long Island’s Top Women in Law for 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association: Section of Labor & Employment, Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association of New York (NELA/NY)
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Huntington Lawyers’ Club
- Panelist: “Independent contractors and contingent workers under the NLRA,” American Bar Association, 10th Annual Labor and employment Law Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2016
- Panelist: “Best Practices for the Hospitality Industry,” New York City Bar Association, May 2018
- Trainer: “Mediation Advocacy Training,” Eastern District of New York and the Federal Bar Association, September 2108
- Presenter “Overview of Employment Discrimination Law,” Eastern District of New York and the Federal Bar Association, September 2018
- Moderator: NELA/NY Fall Conference, September 2018
- Presenter: “Epic Changes: Arbitration and Class Collective Action Waivers.” New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Conference, Montreal, Canada, October 2018
- Panelist: “Wage and Hour Compliance on Long Island.” 28th Annual SHRM-LI Conference, Woodbury, New York, May 2019
- Panelist: “Ethics in ADR.” New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Annual Meeting, New York, New York, January 2020
- Presenter “New Workplace Protections for Employees in NY Post COVID-19.” Bronx Bar Association Lunch-Time CLE, June 2020